Thursday, October 31, 2013

Ghee brings me GLEE!

I have read PLENTY of yoga and health magazines, all of which tout the benefits of eating ghee.  Ghee this and ghee that.  Well ~ now that I have actually EATEN ghee myself, now I understand how great it is.

AND EXPENSIVE.

When I was in Sedona, my FABULOUS roommate, Kim, gifted me with a beautiful, 14 ounce, glass bottle of "100% Organic Pure Indian Foods, grass-fed Ghee", with a price tag that said $19.50.  After being very impressed that she would even give me such a gift, my next thought was "will I really eat this?" and if I like it, "Dennis will have a cow if I buy a $20 bottle of stuff that he doesn't like or understand". 

Then I proceeded through my 30 day Yoga Teacher Training and discovered that

  1. I LOVE Ghee
  2. It's easy to make!

So I did a little more research and learned this ~
  • Ghee has a very high smoke point and doesn't burn when cooking
  • It reduces cholesterol
  • Good for your nerves and brain
  • Helps to control eye pressure and helps with glaucoma
  • Stimulates stomach acids to help with digestion
  • Rich in antioxidants
  • Helps the body absorb vitamins and minerals from food
  • Strengths the immune system
  • Inhibits the growth of cancerous tumors (I especially like this!)

So, I tried my hand at making it while I was in Sedona.  WHAT A JOKE!  I burned the *&^% out of it and made Kim's kitchen stink for about 48 hours (sorry Kim!).

Then one of my fellow yoga students suggested that I make it in a crock pot.  So when I got home last week, I bought a mini crock pot and tried it again today.  I followed the directions from this website ~

How to make ghee in a crockpot






... and it worked BEAUTIFULLY!  The only thing I changed from the website above was I turned the crockpot on high to MELT the butter, then I took off the lid, turned it to low, and let it do its thing for 7 hours.  And look at the result!

Hey ~ it matches my shirt!


That same original bottle that cost $19.50, cost me only $4.99 for a pound of organic, unsalted butter.  And it looks and tastes EXACTLY like the $19.50 version.  And I loved being able to give my ghee all sorts of love and attention while it was transforming itself from butter into ghee.

Now ~ what to do with it?  EVERYTHING YOU DO WITH REGULAR BUTTER.  I've already used it to saute everything, poured it on air-popped popcorn, made grilled sandwiches, added it to my kitchari, and put it on crackers.  To me, it tastes just like butter, if not better.  AND I know it's doing lots of great things for my body.

And the best part ... EVEN DENNIS LIKES IT.

So yes, ghee brings me GLEE!!

I invite you to try making it, too.  If you do, please let me know your experience and how you use it.

We all do learn from eachother.





No comments:

Post a Comment